an adventure into my cookbook collection: soul-searching, doing things differently & the truths I learn along the way...

deseeding pomegranates is feminine & erotic, unless you hit them with a wooden spoon...

urm..?

Monday 7 May 2012

Baked Yoghurt (Payodhi)


Here is another guest blog – by the wonderful Emma. Emma and I lived together in university for 3 years, and we bonded over a love of food, cooking, custard and West Wing.  One of the things I love about her is her quiet humility – the dinner party she mentions hosting with Rachel was in fact an epic sheva bracha (post-wedding party) for our fellow house-mate Simon and his wife Naomi. As I don’t have as much humility I can say that it was pretty much one of the best things we have ever done.  We sat on mattresses on the floor listening to Groove Armada with a proper Indian feast (thanks also go to my mother for the pakoras). When we were first planning the feast I felt slightly guilty for bossily delegating Emma the desserts without any consultation (but only for a minute) but I knew it had to be done, she is the dessert queen. And I think the guests of the evening will agree. Thanks to the Moishe House for hosting too, and Becky’s amazing home-made bread.

And now here is Emma:

Recently I co-hosted an Indian themed dinner party with Miri and our friend Rachel.  For dessert I made Payodhi (or Baked Yoghurt), which proved to be a great success.  Think a rich creamy cheesecake, without the cream, cheese…or cake.  Payodhi is a one of the easiest desserts to make.  It requires no measuring of ingredients and a simple cooking technique called whisking.  Before baking I like to sprinkle the mixture with saffron (picked up on my epic inter-railing adventure to Istanbul), which adds a touch of sophistication to an otherwise basic dish.  If you can’t get hold of saffron, once baked, sprinkle with pistachio nuts.  Enjoy! 


Baked Yoghurt (Payodhi) (from Indian Vegetarian Cooking, by Sumana Ray 2000)
serves about 10
 
1 tin (14.5 oz/410g/1 ¾ cups) evaporated milk
1 tin (14 oz/397g/1 ¾ cups) condensed milk
1 tub (18 oz/500g/2 ¼ cups) yoghurt
1 tbsp pistachio nuts, skinned and chopped
saffron
 
preheat oven to 450F / 225C / Gas Mark 5
 
whisk the evaporated milk, condensed milk and yoghurt together for 1 minute
 
pour into an oven-proof dish and sprinkle with saffron
 
place in the preheated oven
 
turn the oven off after 6 minutes and leave the dish in the oven overnight. Chill. 
 
serve garnished with the chopped nuts.

1 comment:

  1. Just to say- it really was awesome- we had an amazing time and the food was just brilliant. Thanks Miri, Emma, Debbie Rachel and Becky- we were so impressed and had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete